50th Anniversary

View Finder Series Sauvignon Blanc

About the [ VIEWFINDER ] Series

Cakebread Cellars is thrilled to introduce a new wine series in our portfolio: Viewfinder.

Encompassing only limited-edition, small-production wines, the Viewfinder series will showcase our diverse estate vineyards with a unique, personal touch in the cellar from our Director of Winemaking, Stephanie Jacobs. Fewer than 600 cases of each of these uniquely crafted wines will be made available. Our Wine Club members will have first access to the series, which will debut a second offering in October.

View Finder Sauvignon Blanc Video
Jack Cakebread

Inspired by Jack Cakebread and the origin story of Cakebread Cellars, Viewfinder represents the frame of reference for individual creative expression. A photography commission that led Jack Cakebread to Napa Valley in 1972 introduced him to and funded the first 22 acres of what would later become his eponymous winery.

Jack had his own distinct vision when it came to photography. Using his Viewfinder, the device on a camera that frames and focuses the picture, Jack captured his perspective of the moment.

In crafting the Viewfinder series wines, Stephanie is shaping their expression through her own creative lens. She includes fruit from only select vineyard blocks, choosing original fermenting and aging vessels to capture her unique snapshot of each vintage and terroir.

THE VINEYARDS

About the [ VIEWFINDER ] Sauvignon Blanc

The first wine in this series is an 100% Estate Sauvignon Blanc. This wine is made with 85% Sauvignon Blanc from our Cuttings Wharf and Maple Lane vineyards in Carneros and Calistoga, respectively, and 15% Semillon from our Home Ranch in Rutherford, showcasing the best lots from these estate vineyards for a true expression of place.

For the 2021 vintage, 43% of the wine was fermented in stainless steel and aged in neutral French oak barrels, and the remaining 57% was aged and fermented in concrete eggs. The concrete added a complexity of flavor and softened the acidity of the finished wine. This exceptional expression of Sauvignon Blanc differs from our Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc. Aromas of citrus and melon are highlighted, with notes of pear and lemon curd on the palate. A soft, creamy mouthfeel is rounded out with a hint of minerality to finish this complex wine.

A perfect wine to transition from summer to fall, Viewfinder Sauvignon Blanc is refreshing, smooth and perfect for cooler evenings.

Play Video

 

  • The Merlot is also an estate wine, picked from our vineyard in Howell Mountain. The wine was fermented and aged in separate lots and aged in 70% new French oak for 17 months. (Note: We are not referencing Dancing Bear Ranch for this wine despite the grapes being grown there). Tasting notes of ripe dark fruit and supple tannins.
  • This wine will retail at $90. 105 cases were produced.
  • This wine will be released in early October to club members first and then general DTC retail.