The  [ V I E W F I N D E R ]  Series

View Finder Series Sauvignon Blanc
Jack Cakebread

   THE HISTORY AND IMPORTANCE OF PHOTOGRAPHY

  • Jack Cakebread founded the winery nearly 50 years ago. It started with his camera, taking photos of landscapes, studying under Ansel Adams and eventually being hired to photograph the vintners of Napa Valley for a book. He used the commission to buy the first 22 acres of what was to become Cakebread Cellars.
  • Jack had his own distinct vision when it came to photography. Using his Viewfinder, the device on a camera that frames and focuses the picture, Jack captured his perspective of the moment.
  • This wine series is inspired by Jack’s Viewfinder. Stephanie Jacobs, Director of Winemaking, worked to capture the vintage through her own lens, to create exceptional wines that illustrated the season’s growth, harvest, and vineyards.


THE VIEWFINDER WINES

We are thrilled to share this exceptional and unique expression of Sauvignon Blanc crafted by Stephanie Jacobs.

Tasting Notes
This medium-bodied wine opens with aromas of citrus and melon. Notes of pear, melon and lemon curd coat the palate with a soft and creamy mouthfeel.  A smooth, long finish with a hint of honey and minerality round out this complex and elegant wine.

View Finder Sauvignon Blanc Video

Vineyards  &   Vintage
The sauvignon blanc was sourced from our Cuttings Wharf vineyard located in the cooler, southern part of the valley, Los Carneros and from our Maple Lane vineyard, located in the warmer northern region of the valley, Calistoga. The cooler, southern part of the valley gives us sauvignon blanc with bright citrus characters, flinty minerality, and balanced acidity, while the warmer northern region brings out tropical notes. The Semillon was harvested on our home ranch.

The 2021 vintage was low-yielding yet incredibly high-quality in Napa Valley. A dry winter followed by a warm spring and summer led to an early harvest notable for its exceptional quality. The grapes ripened to perfection, leading to effortlessly complex, bright wines.

Winemaking
Picked 100% at night to preserve freshness and varietal purity, our Sauvignon Blanc grapes are pressed cold and whole-cluster in an anaerobic environment to retain the utmost freshness and varietal purity in the finished wines. This process helps maintain the vivacious aromas, flavors, and zesty acidity of Sauvignon Blanc. 57% of the fruit was harvested from our Cuttings Wharf vineyard and was fermented and aged in concrete eggs. The remaining 43% was fermented in stainless steel and then aged in neutral French oak for 3 months. The concrete eggs help to soften the acidity and add complexity before bottling.

Play Video

 

  • The Merlot is also an estate wine, picked from our vineyard in Howell Mountain. The wine was fermented and aged in separate lots and aged in 70% new French oak for 17 months. (Note: We are not referencing Dancing Bear Ranch for this wine despite the grapes being grown there). Tasting notes of ripe dark fruit and supple tannins.
  • This wine will retail at $90. 105 cases were produced.
  • This wine will be released in early October to club members first and then general DTC retail.